*By Robin Gelfenbien
Not only is Peter Shankman a rockstar in the PR, marketing and social media worlds, but he’s an Ironman triathlete, a 23-time marathon runner and one of the most generous people I know. He makes himself so available to people around the world to meet up, grab coffee or go for a run (as long as you’re willing to go at 3:00 a.m. ☺ ).
It’s that accessibility that makes him so popular plus the fact that the man knows his stuff. And the best part? He’s willing to share it.
In this second half of our two-part series with Peter, find out the secrets to how he’s built his following, the three apps he can’t live without and his favorite cheat day meal.
1. What are your top three business books?
The Art of War, Sun Tzu
Losing my Virginity, Richard Branson
They Can Kill You But They Can’t Eat You, Dawn Steele
2. Which three apps could you not live without?
Words With Friends
3. Who are your top five people to follow on Twitter and why?
@NYCAlerts (What was that loud boom?)
@emmahavi (What are the younger, cooler kids talking about today that us old folks won’t know about for two years?)
@helpareporter (You really need to ask why?)
@BUCGS (Gotta keep up with the alma mater!)
@YsmayWalsh (One of the smartest digital strategists I know)
4. You recently lost nearly 50 pounds, you’ve been sober for over a year, and you are a dedicated 3:00 a.m. workout junkie. How has your commitment to your overall health and well-being translated to success in your entrepreneurial pursuits? And what’s your favorite cheat day meal? ☺
The healthier I am, the more successful I am. The healthier I’m not, the less successful I am. I truly believe the two are interconnected. Habits, goals, commitment – they’re all tied together. You simply can’t have one without the other. Oh, and pizza.
5. You’ve got an impressive following on social media, and you are an avid social media user. Which three key things helped you build your audience?
1. I respect them.
2. I’m transparent about everything I share.
3. I respect the brevity of the medium.
Bonus: Everything I put out there is designed first and foremost to HELP my audience.
Which of Peter’s tips resonated with you? What surprised you? Tweet us and let us know.
Also, be sure to read part one of our interview with Peter chock-full of smart and savvy advice.
Peter Shankman is an accomplished author, keynote speaker, entrepreneur, influencer and PR, marketing and social media machine best known for founding the game-changing service, HARO (Help A Reporter Out).
The New York Times has called him “A public relations all-star who knows everything about new media and then some.”
His customer service and social media clients have included American Express, Sprint, SAP, The US Department of Defense, Royal Bank of Canada, Snapple, NASA, Walt Disney World, Discovery Networks, Harrah’s Hotels and many more.
To learn more about Peter, hire him to speak, read his blog and more, visit his site. Be sure to follow Peter on Twitter, check out his best-selling books on customer service, PR stunts and more and listen to his recent interview with Tony Robbins on his podcast.